EH&S is responsive to campus needs during the pandemic. COVID-19 protocols are being coordinated through the UCLA Emergency Operations Center (EOC), Emergency Management Policy Group (EMPG), and UCLA's Future Planning Task Force. Please check Bruins Safe Online for the latest safety information. If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 9-1-1.

Precursor and List 1 & 2 Chemicals

Precursor and List I & II are chemicals and solvents regulated by the federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and State of California Department of Justice and the Office of the Attorney General (CA-DOJ) to prevent the illicit manufacturing of controlled substances. 

  • Precursors are chemicals that are known to be used in the illegal manufacture of narcotic drugs and psychoactive substances. 
  • List I and List II Chemicals are lists maintained by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) which contain chemicals that are used to manufacture controlled substances/illicit drugs. 
Orders coming from within California

Chemicals ordered from suppliers located within Calfornia require a minimum 21 day hold to fulfill DEA requirements. UCLA EH&S has approvd Spectrum Chemicals for precursor and List I & II chemicals.

Step: 1 - Look up your product

Spectrum Chemical 

Online Catalog


STEP: 2 - 


Orders coming from- Outside of California

Precursors are regulated state by state the  California Health and Safety Code, Section 11100-11107.1, any individual purchasing a precursor chemical from a supplier located outside of the state of California must have a Precursor Chemical Permit specific to the regulated item (e.g., iodine) or a DEA Registration with “Analytical Lab” as the business activity along with a usage statement provided. 

CA Precursor Chemical Permit

  1. Contact the CA Controlled Chemical Substance Program (916) 210-4313 or email [email protected] to inquire about obtaining a precursor chemical permit.
    • The indicated permit can be used both within and outside of the state of California once granted.
  2. Acquire a precursor chemical permit for each precursor chemical to be used.
    • If multiple types of precursor chemicals will be used, a precursor chemical permit must be obtained for each one.

Requirements and documents will vary by vendor and state. Materials can be delayed and not released if required documents are not submited to the vendors complicance office.