Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

May 17, 2014

How do I setup a biosafety inspection or what should I expect during my biosafety inspection?

Check out this quick reference: Biosafety Inspections


How do I get a Medical Waste accumulation key?

This will answer all your questions about key issuance:  Medical Waste Acumulation site keys


Do I need to register my biological toxin?  What do I need to do if I am working with a Select Agent Toxin even at exempt quantities?

Please review the webpage on Biological Toxin Information


Do you have any SOP's for common things available for me to use?

Here is a set of common SOPs that researchers use at UCLA: Common SOPs


How do I select an good disinfectant for my lab?

Please feel free to consult with biosafety about any nes disinfectants, but here is a good fact sheet about shoosing an EPA registered disinfectant:  EPA approved disinfectants


Does my genetically modified animal need to be registered with the IBC or is it exempt?

Here is a quick guide to deciding what needs to be registered with the IBC: Genetically Modified Animals


What is the best design setup for my new Tissue culture room?

Here are just a few tips to get you started: Tissue Culture Room design


How do I closeout or move out of my lab?

Here is a guide for Lab closeouts


What should go in my biosafety spill kit?

Here is the 6 things you need in your biosafety spill kit: Biosafety Spill Kit


Additional guidance in determining the appropriate Risk Group for microbial agents can be found at:

  1. American Biological Safety Association Risk Group Database:
  2. CDC/NIH Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL):
  3. Public Health of Canada MSDSs for biological agents:


Couldn't find your answer here?
Email biosafety and we will be happy to help you.