Controlled Substance Program for Research
The UCLA Controlled Substance Program for Research
MEET OUR STAFF
- What is a Controlled Substances?
- A controlled substance is generally a drug or chemical whose manufacture, possession, or use is regulated by a government, such as illicitly used drugs or prescription medications that are designated by law.
DEA- Controlled Substance List
- How to Get Started:
- DEA registrations are submitted, managed, and renewed by the Controlled Substance Program Administrator (CSPA). These registrations are not broad scope licenses and require a Controlled Substance Use Authorization (CSUA). A CSUA captures information associated with the use and storage of controlled substances. All CSUA require DEA approval.
How to get a to a CSUA please complete the following:
1. Complete CSUA application Part I and Part II (Upload to BOX)
- Storage Location Requirements:
PIs are responsible for providing and maintaining secure controlled substance storage.
See the Controlled Substances Storage Location Requirements handout.
Items available for purchase:
- Hasp lock and carriage bolts $ 21.53
- Hasp Lock Installation Information
To get your storage location approved and verified or to develop a storage plan schedule a consultation with us.
Book a Service Appointment
- Ordering and Vendors:
Approved CSUAs are assign a CSUA ID number. PIs and authorized users are advised to use this number when placing orders.
Orders are submitted via an online order form. For the link to our order form and information about our vendors visit: https://www.ehs.ucla.edu/controlled-substances-Vendors
- Updating your CSUA:
- Submit are request for Modification:
CSUA Modification Request
Maintaining the most up to date information on your Controlled Substance Use Authorization (CSUA) is essential to ensure that we have continued approval from the DEA. Information that would need to be reported are:
Protocol additions or removals- protocols are the means by which we are able to justify use of material and are a required document.
Material additions or removals- each CSUA is approved for specific material and annual usage amounts. Material not listed on an CSUA and request for amount over the approved annual usage will not be fulfilled with out a justification and CSUA amendment.
Storage locations changes- each storage location is approved for security provisions by the DEA. Relocation or modification to storage location must be approved before use.
it is important to be able to identify who are the individuals that have access to controlled substances.
- Complete and submit Personnel Screening Data Sheets (PSDS) for each user
- Complete the Controlled Substance Training in WORKSAFE
PSDS Submission Options
- Email signed copy to [email protected] or Upload to BOX
- Waste and Returning Materials
- The Controlled Substance Program manages material from receipt to disposal. All controlled substances received through the program must be returned if expired or material will not longer be in use.
Visit our Controlled Substance web page for more information.
- About Our Program