UCLA Research

Controlled Substance Program for Research

The UCLA Controlled Substance Program for Research provides assistance and monitoring for the use of regulated drugs and precursors chemicals in research.

UCLA currently is in the process of acquiring departmental registration for federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration governing the use of controlled substances for research, veterinary, and teaching purposes.

Registrations are submitted for each department. These registrations are submitted, managed, and renewed by the Controlled Substance Program Administrator (CSPA). Information about individuals working with controlled substances is captured in a Controlled Substance Use Authorization (CSUA). This authorization grants researchers the ability to work with controlled substance under the departmental registration.

How do I get added to a departmental registration?

  1. Complete a CSUA application if you plan to use controlled substances in one or more of the following:
    • Research
    • Teaching
    • Veterinary Care
  2. Complete and submit Personnel Screening Data Sheets for each user.
  3. Submit PI’s most current curriculum vitea (short version).

What do I do if I'm unable to wait for the departmental registration?

You can submit an individual researcher registration directly with the DEA. Once your department’s departmental registration is being processed you will be added and your previous registration will be closed.

Controlled Substance Individual Researcher Registration

 For information on regulatory requirements for registration holders, check links on our Documents and Resources page on side bar to the left.

PIs are responsible for providing and maintaining secure controlled substance storage.

See the Controlled Substances Storage Location Requirements handout.

 To get your storage location approved and verified, or to develop a storage plan, contact [email protected].